Friday, January 14, 2011

Matching Objects By Function

Apologies for the lack of posts this month, we're still in holiday mode and have been travelling around visiting family and enjoying the warm weather outside. I've also been spending my nights watching the ongoing coverage from the Qld floods, captivating and heartbreaking as it is.
One of the activities we did this week was a matching objects by function game; I found ten pairs of objects that 'go together' and spread one of each across the mat, then gave Bubble the matching items one at a time asking her what other item she thought it went with. I thought it would be quite easy but it was a bit of a challenge for her after being so used to matching games that use a visual similarity (colour, shape etc...) and she really had to think about the function of each object. Some she found simple (ie; toothbrush and toothpaste) and others she had to think about for a moment (ie; letter and envelope).
There is no end of combinations you could use for this game and it could be designed to fit certain themes (rooms of the house, inside and outside objects, things found at school etc).

WE USED:
Objects to represent:
sock and shoe, purse and money, screw and screwdriver, pencil and sharpener, paint box and paintbrush, toothbrush and toothpaste, letter and envelope, knife and fork, glove and hand, toast/bread and toaster.










3 comments:

  1. You have so many great ideas on your blog! I love this activity. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This activity is great! I like matching the objects by function instead of always matching the same objects. I've never thought of this, but there are a lot of things you can do with this. I've included your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favorites-for-january-16-2011.html Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! We've done a similar "Does Not Belong" game. I'll be doing this one this week!

    ReplyDelete